Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Monday, September 26, 2011

Running unplugged

After my standard fragmented Sunday night of sleep (3 ish hours on the plane, and 4 more once I got to my hotel), I got up this morning to find the unthinkable had happened. My i-pod was dead. It had gotten turned on in my suitcase and the battery was drained. Since running around the concrete jungle near my hotel is pretty darn uninspiring, I rely heavily on a combination of music, NPR podcasts, and running podcasts to keep me going. I seriously considered retreating to the gym so I could at least watch TV, but I just couldn't bring myself to face an hour on the dreadmill. So I slipped on my headlamp and headed outside without my i-pod. And you know what? I had a great run! I was less jumpy about running in the dark, by myself, in a strange place. More importantly, I felt so much more in tune with my body. I switched my plan from a 60 minute moderate effort run, to a tobada workout to keep my mind engaged. I did a 15 min warm-up, and then 8 intervals of 20 seconds hard and 10 seconds easy, focusing on my cadence. I repeated this 4 times with 4 minutes of easy running between each block, and then cooled down. The hour flew by faster any run I've done recently. Sometimes, you just have to roll with the punches.

No comments:

Post a Comment