Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Snowy and nasty and great

So I woke up this morning to find 4-5 inches of fresh snow. Much better than the rain and sleet that was forcast (although that is here now). I briefly considered the elliptical, but ]just couldn't bring myself to shut myself in the dark basement. I pulled on my Yak Trax, my reflective vest, and I was out the door.

Nothing had been plowed yet, and the snow was wet so it kept caking up in my Yak Trax. The snow was also piling up on top of my head and melting down my neck. So between the funny drag, stop foot motion I had to do every few steps, and the crazy head shaking to shake the snow off, I'm sure I looked pretty funny. Of course all the drivers thought I was crazy anyway, just for running in the snow.

I tried to stay on the side streets and sidewalks, but there were a few times where I had to run on the shoulder of the road. That was the only unpleasant part, because every time a car went by I got sprayed with cold, dirty slush.

Despite the fact that I was sliding all over, and threw in 6 hill repeats on a long hill, I still managed a sub 10 min. mile pace.

Of course today was the easy day- it was the day with fresh fluffy power, and few people on the roads. It's the next few runs that will be nasty as the rain and sleet that followed the snow will turn the roads and sidewalks into a icy mess. And based on the fact that not even the roads were plowed today, I'm not holding my breath that they'll plow the sidewalks.

No comments:

Post a Comment