Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Portland to Bailey Island Ride

I have been a member of the Maine Outdoor Adventure Club, or MOAC, for the past 2 years, but have mostly limited my activities with them to skiing. They have a lot of neat stuff, so I don't really know why I haven't done more. But, since I am just so darn tired of running and biking alone all the time, I am making more of an effort to do more. I started yesterday with the Portland to Bailey Island Ride.

This was about a 50 mile trip on the coastal country roads along Casco Bay and then out to through Harpswell, Orr's Island, and finishing Bailey Island. We started in Portland with a group of 3 and then picked up 3 more riders within the first 5 miles. John, our leader, planned an great route. We totally avoided the traffic, which is a minor miracle in Maine in August. The route was beautiful.


I really can't imagine a more perfect ride. It was bright and sunny, but with comfortable temperatures and a slight breeze. We rode just below my normal pace, so it felt very comfortable, but not too slow. We were running ahead of schedule, so we were able to make a stop at the Brunswick Farmer's Market. There was a live music and so many different booths. I tasted some fresh cheese curds and perfectly ripe tomatoes, and then topped off my energy stores with an iced coffee and dark chocolate, pecan, coconut cookie.


The last 10 miles of the ride were the hilliest, including a very aptly named mountain ride, so I was very excited to finally see the bridge leading onto Bailey Island. The bridge is the only cribstone granite bridge in the world!


Just over the bridge we stopped for lunch at Morse's Cribstone Grille. After 50 miles, I was more than ready for lunch!


There were no outside tables available, but we got a great table inside right by a huge window that looked out over the water. I immediately ordered a Seadog Blueberry beer and then set to work studying the menu. I went with the lobster quesedilla which was a great choice. It was stuffed with fresh lobster, artichoke hearts, and cheese and served with a fresh mango salsa. I housed that thing. 


After lunch we poked around the island a bit before climbing on the Island Romance for the ferry ride back to Portland.



That was the best part of the ride- we didn't have to bike back to Portland! Instead we got to chill out and enjoy a leisurely boat ride. I was really interested in the narration because we went through a section of the Maine ocean that I rarely have been in. I learned about a few islands that I want to try and explore next summer on my own boat!

About 2 hours later we were back in Portland.  I will not lie, I was not at all excited to climb back on my bike for the 4 mile ride back to John's house where was my car was. My legs had totally tightened up, and I was feeling sleepy and lazy after lunch and the boat ride. But, I had to get home, so climb on my bike I did. I ended up with a total of 54 miles exactly for the day. I love when I get a perfectly even number!


It was a great, great day and I can't wait for my next MOAC adventure.

What did you do this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment