Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Is Geography Destiny

I am reading a great book called Cutting For Stone in which the main character asserts that geography is destiny, that is that where you are born dictates the course of your life. It is an idea that has stayed with me since I read it. For the most part I agree. Being born in the United States, I had a lot of opportunities that I might not have had. I had access to a high quality, free education. I had good health care. I had a safe, ample food supply. I had indoor plumbing. Simply by being born when I was, I was able to grow into a healthy adult with minimal effort. But the struggle of simply growing up in more challenging environments is what makes some people into better, stronger people. Would the African runners be as successful if they were raised eating Cheetos and playing video games?

It is true on a smaller scale as well. I have a deep love for the Maine coast that comes from being raised there. I love the cold water and the wind, I love the snow, and I love solitude because this is what I was raised with. I love to travel, but in the end I want to return to Maine. It's a mixed blessing to have a place that you love so passionately. I feel lucky to have a place where I feel so content, as long as this doesn't come at the expense of limiting opportunities.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kiersten,

    I hope this finds you well. I work with YakTrax (www.yaktrax.com) and I am looking for runners like you to try out some of our new products and offer reviews for us via your blog. I know with the cold winter months facing us, snow and ice can become an issue. That is why our YakTrax products would be great for you in your winter training.

    If you are interested in receiving any of our products, please e-mail me back at amber@intrepidmg.com

    Keep on running,

    Amber

    ReplyDelete