Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Monday, April 11, 2011


Granted I've been working in California all winter and spring, so I've been exposed to warm sunshine, but there is something about spring at home that just makes me so happy.

Despite getting home around 2:30 am Thursday (thank you Jet Blue), I dragged myself out of bed at 5:30 Friday morning to head up to Waterville to ski. It was a glorious day. The snow was still awesome, and the sun was bright and warm. Plus, it was $1. How can you loose? We got our runs down to about 3 cents a run.

Then Saturday, I was looking for any excuse to be outside. I ignored all my indoor chores, and swept the deck, hung out laundry and blankets to air out, and did my nails on the deck. So when it came time to make dinner, I decided to fire up the grill. I was planning on making Naan, because I'd seen a recipe in the globe. I love Nann, it's basically why I get Indian food. They had it cooked over an open flame on the stove, but I figured I could use the grill. It worked great!

Stovetop naan

Makes 6 rounds

2 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 teaspoons sugar
7/8 cup milk, heated until warm to the touch (30 seconds on high in a microwave)
1 egg, beaten to mix
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt
3 to 3 1/2 cups flour (I used half whole wheat)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Extra flour (for shaping)
Nigella or cumin seeds (for sprinkling, optional)
2 tablespoons butter

1. In a small bowl, stir the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar into the milk. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes. The mixture should become slightly frothy.

2. In a bowl, stir together the yeast mixture, egg, oil, and yogurt.

3. In a food processor, place 3 cups flour, salt, baking powder, and remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Cover and pulse 5 times. With the motor running, slowly pour the yeast mixture through the feed tube and process until the dough pulls away from the sides and forms a rough ball. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. If it is too sticky, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, up to 1/2 cup.

4. Transfer the dough to a large bowl and cover with plastic. Leave to rise in a cool place for 2 to 3 hours or until double in size or refrigerate overnight.

5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter. Punch it down and divide into 6 equal pieces. Form each into a ball. Set them aside on the counter, covered loosely with plastic wrap. Rest for 30 minutes.

6. Working with one ball at a time, press it flat with your fingertips and palms. If you are using nigella or cumin seeds, press them into the dough now. Roll it to a 1/4-inch-thick oval that is about 8 to 10 inches long.

7. Set the dough on a wire cooling rack. Place it on the grill, turned to high. When the dough starts to bubble, place the rack down on the burner and, using tongs, lift an edge to see if the surface has started to brown. When it is lightly browned, flip it with the tongs. Repeat with the other side. The dough should cook about 1 minute on a side.

8. Rub the naan lightly with butter and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining dough.

Connie Pollard. Adapted from Sanjay Thumma.
© Copyright 2011 Globe Newspaper Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment