Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Friday, November 29, 2013

Gratitude

Last night as I was falling asleep, I thought about my Thanksgiving and tears came to my eyes. I was just overcome with gratitude for such a wonderful day and such a wonderful life.

My gratitude started early in the day. The BF got up at 6 with me (even though he worked until 1 am!) to help me with the turkey. He knows I hate having to take out the giblets and other stuff inside the bird. Plus that sucker weighed 22 pounds and I could barely lift it into the roaster by myself! This just confirmed for me, yet again, that he is a keeper.

I was then so thankful (and amazed) to set a 4 mile PR in the Portland Thanksgiving Day 4 miler. I came down with a cold earlier in the week, it was a cold, very windy day, and the course is hilly, so I went in with no expectations. But it was one of those rare days for me where running just felt effortless. My chip time was 32:18 for an average pace of 8:05. My garmin had me at a 7:59 pace with a total distance of 4.12. This race was also extra special because I convinced my brother to do it with me. He also did better than he expected!

staying warm inside pre-race
Being healthy enough to go rock and race and share the experience with my brother put a huge smile on my face.
Justin kicking it in at the end

Earlier in the week, I had a minor freak-out about hosting Thanksgiving for 10. But, I had prepped a lot in advance and everyone chipped in and it went great. We had so much food. I know how many people around the world, and right here at home, struggle with hunger on a daily basis. So, I give thanks just for the fact that I get enough to eat every day, much less for the huge feast I enjoyed yesterday. Having my house filled with my friends and family was wonderful. It was very cozy trying to get 10 people at the table, but that was part of the fun. I felt like my house was bursting at the seams with  loving, supportive, funny friends and family. 

Later at night, we had a girls night, watching a movie and drinking wine. While I watched the movie, I was patting the snoozing doggie splayed across my lap and thinking how grateful I am to have her healthy again. She has make a remarkable recovery. She is back to her old self- eating like a horse, begging for tummy rubs, and sitting in any available lap. I even made her some leg-warmers to keep her bare little legs warm (they had to shave them to put in IVs when she was sick)


I am incredibly lucky to live this life.  

How was your Thanksgiving?


No comments:

Post a Comment