Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Monday, May 9, 2011

Darkness, Darkness

All great and beautiful work has come of first gazing without shrinking into the darkness.
-John Ruskin

I miss the darkness. I grew up in places where there was nothing, really, to fear at night. The worst you might encounter was a small critter, a raccoon or porcupine, that was easily enough scared away with the flash of a flashlight or a loud clap. Even though my attack happened in the broad daylight, I am now afraid of being alone in the dark. Last night I worked the command center until 1 am and I had to walk to my car alone. I was terrified. I hate that. I hate not being able to trust people. I miss standing alone and staring up at the car. I miss that feeling of having the world to yourself that you only get late at night. I miss running in the darkness, it was when I felt the fastest and lightest.

No comments:

Post a Comment