Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Unwinding



I’m back in the air after a blissful week in Maine. Being in one of the most beautiful places on earth, certainly helps, but I think what makes Maine so enjoyable is that it is one of the few places that I just relax. In my everyday life, I am a planner, a creature of habit, a worrier. I spend a lot of time obsessing about the future- I usually have my plans made days in advance. I know what workout I am going to do in the morning, what I’m going to eat for all three meals, what I’m going to wear. In college, I had my papers written weeks ahead of time. I pay my bills early. I am always the first person to arrive. But in Maine, I don’t do that, I can’t. The weather, the people, the general climate wont’ allow me too. Often the wind is too strong, the seas too rough, or the fog too thick to be out on the water. My mom and brother are notoriously late and unpredictable. The bridge leading off the island may be open to let the boat traffic through, or there might be a long line of tourist traffic on route one. I can let it make me crazy, or I can just let go. Letting go is freeing. Not setting an alarm, but getting up when it feels right. Sitting on the deck with a cup of coffee, and not doing anything productive. Waiting to see where I am and what sounds good at that very moment when I am hungry. Being open to impromptu games of tennis, music sessions, and dinners with friends. I always thought that not planning ahead limited your opportunities, but I’m learning that it can also create them.

No comments:

Post a Comment