Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Monday, October 17, 2011

Greek Yogurt Madness

So after my great run yesterday, I have been striking out majorly on the fitness front. My Mom came down yesterday afternoon and I tried to take us to a yoga class. The class was called relaxation yoga, which sounded nice. However it turned out to be basically lying on the floor for an hour. Which is great for some people, but not my cup of tea. I know I should work more on being able to quiet my mind and be still, but I don't do well with still. The only way I can quiet my mind and stop the constant barrage of thoughts is through movement. Strike one. Then this morning, I tried the kickboxing and strength classes at my gym. Kickboxing was okay, but the instructor just didn't seem that into it. It's hard to have fun and get excited when the instructor seems bored. Unfortunately she taught the strength class and was even less inspired in that. It was so slowly paced and we never did enough reps for me to feel it. Strike 2. Strike 3 for the day was not fitness related. It was the DMV. Enough said. To get myself back into a better mood I decided to do some cooking when I got home. I had been to BJ's, which always means buying things in a larger quantity than I will ever need. This is a problem with things that expire, like greek yogurt. Luckily, I had my hand greek yogurt recipe booklet that the Stonyfield Yogurt people were handing out at the Life is Good Festival. Cooking with yogurt is a great way to lower the fat and increase the protein in your food. The first thing I made was this: Fall Vegetable Casserole This is a great way to use up any extra fall veggies you may have lying around. I used brussels sprouts, carrots, eggplant, and onions. I used way too many veggies so it wasn't quite cheesy enough for my liking. But what sauce there was, was rich and garlicky. YUM-O. And for dessert: Spiced Apple Cakehttp://www.stonyfield.com/recipes/spiced-apple-cake SOOOOOO Good! I've eaten half of it already by myself (in my defense I halved the recipe). I made it even healthier by switching half the oil for apple butter. The apple butter also made it a great dark color.

No comments:

Post a Comment