Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Where to run in Portland, Maine

I am so in love with the running near my new house. Today I was determined to shake off the pain in my head and general laziness so I made myself go out and go for a run this morning. Being out on the Greenbelt by the water looking over at the city skyline made me so happy. I decided to share the wealth and contribute to Runner's World's new travel running wiki. I always appreciate being able to look up potential routes when I am traveling, so it's only fair that share some of the best runs in Portland. Here is a link And the text of the article.... Portland has some great running! The Back Cove trail in Portland is one the most popular trails. The 3.5 mile dirt and crushed stone loop is mostly flat and goes around a lovely cove. There is plenty of parking at the Preble Street Extension (across from the Hannaford store on Forest Ave) and on the north side of Baxter Boulevard at Payson Park. The back bay trail connects to the Eastern Prom Trail which leads to the Old Port area. This is a lovely rolling paved path that runs along the water. If you are really motivated, you can branch off the path and run the stairs or steep roads that lead up to the Eastern Prom for sweeping views of Casco Bay. Another option is to run (or drive) over the Casco Bay Bridge and into South Portland where you can pick up the South Portland Greenbelt. This is a paved bicycle and pedestrian path that runs from the Wainwright Recreation Complex to Bug Light Park and the Spring Point Shoreway. Parking is available at Bug Light Park, in the Mill Creek shopping center, and the Wainwright Recreation Complex, which can be reached via the Gary Maietta Parkway off Highland Avenue. For a map of available trails and maps visit http://www.trails.org/map_files/existingtrails.html

No comments:

Post a Comment