Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Happy Cinco de Derby

This morning's 8 miler was rough. Not because I went fast or long, but because I had so much darn fun yesterday. Oh well, sometime you have to live a little. How often do Cinco de mayo and the Kentucky Derby fall on the same day?

Breezy and I hit up Target, AC Moore, and TJ Maxx Friday night for derby hat supplies. We went with a little of everything. Saturday morning was assembly time. I went the feathers and bird route,



And then we were all dressed up and ready to go. Luckily the sun came out, or I would have been freezing!

First stop- El Rayo's! They had an awesome band, amazing margarita's, and a happening patio party!

 Next stop- Brian Boru. It was almost like being at the derby for real. They had authentic decorations and (super strong) mint juleps. They had a best hat contest for the ladies, and a best dressed contest for the men. It was fun to see people all dressed up since Portland is usually pretty laid back.


Final stop was Sebago. Special drink of the day was raspberry Julep's. The sad news was that Bodemister (I was rooting for him because he is named after Bode Miller, a skier from New Hampshire that I love) love. Good news was that "I'll have another" won. So we all got a free round of drinks.


I had such a fun day and I don't regret it at all. I spent so much of my life holding back because I'm thinking of the calories or have a hard workout the next day. Life is about balance, so sometimes it is fun to just totally let loose and not think about the consequences. Happy Cinco de Derby!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, what a fun day! I love the additions to your hats! And that you had fun and didn't worry about calories :)

    ReplyDelete