Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Thursday, August 9, 2012

When you just don't want to run

I did not want to run this morning. I got some more unsettling work news last night (immediately after outdoor yoga, completely killing my post yoga zen) so I was up most of the night tossing and turning. Also, that nice cool, dry air is a thing of the past. The humidity has socked back in, a lovely 92%. As if often the case, humidity and heat on the Maine coast means a thick, heavy fog. It is like running through hot soup.










My body just feels tired. I've been working hard. Here's what I have done so far this week:
Saturday: Boocamp. Absolutely brutal. Tons of burpees and a solid 20 minutes of lunges. My glutes hurt for DAYS.
Sunday: 22 mile bike ride, not a super long ride, but hilly.
Monday: High intensity kickboxing and 30 minute upper body circuit.
Tuesday: 11 mile run and 1.5 hour yoga class
Wednesday: 45 minute bike ride, 45 minute bootcamp strength class (tons and tons of legs), and 1.5 hour yoga class.

As much as I didn't want to run, I knew I would regret it all day if I didn't. To get myself through, I employed a few strategies.

-Fired up the i-pod. Some good tunes do amazing things for motivation.

-Tried a new route. I knew if I did one of my normal runs, I'd be dreading every hill and counting down every mile. It was kind of fun to explore. I even ran 1/2 mile on the beach.

-Ignored my pace. I had my garmin on, but I didn't let myself look at it. I just ran by feel and let myself run as easy as I wanted to.

-Threw in a few fartleks. A few pick-ups followed by a super easy job breaks up the run.

How do you motivate yourself when  you don't want to run?

No comments:

Post a Comment