Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Health Fall Comfort Food: Greek Yogurt Penne with Wild Mushrooms

The cool weather continues here in Maine so I finally have a chance to make some of the yummy comfort food I have been pinning on Pinterest all summer. This week I found a winner- Penne with Wild Mushrooms in Greek Yogurt Sauce. Pasta, mushrooms, and creamy sauce? Yes please. I even went crazy and made my own spinach pasta from scratch. Boo yeah.



I got the recipe from the Fage Yogurt Website, but I will admit I did not use Fage. I used the cheap store brand instead.Without further adieu, here is the recipe so that you can try it too.

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 2/3 lbs fresh wild mushroom, wiped and sliced
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1.1 lb packet of pasta
  • ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • Salt and freshly ground black
  • 2 containers of 6 oz Fat Free Greek Yogurt
  • 2 tbsp freshly chopped basil

Preparation Directions:

  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the chopped shallots and crushed garlic for 2-3 minutes without browning. Stir in the mushrooms and vinegar and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions and drain well.
  3. Stir the pasta into the mushrooms and reheat. Season to taste. Add the  Greek Yogurt and stir well. If liked, Parmesan cheese can be sprinkled on just before serving. (Obviously I did this. You can never have enough cheese.)
  4. Serve piping hot and garnish with fresh herbs

No comments:

Post a Comment