Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jongewaard's Bake 'n Broil

I had some time to kill before I had to be at the airport so I cruised around the Long Beach area looking for food. I'm still not feeling great, so I was seeking comfort food. I wanted soup or mac n' cheese, even though it was about 95 out. I came across a great hidden gem: Jongewaard's Bake 'n Broil.

It was cute inside, with a long counter and a small booths. Best of all was the display case in the middle filled with amazing looking cakes, pies, muffins, and other baked goods.

I had a hot cup of french onion soup and a grilled cheese with tomato on homemade bread. Just what the doctor ordered. And as I ate, I chatted with the old men sitting all around me. They wanted to know what a young "looker" such as myself was doing eating by herself.

The giant layer cakes piled with buttercream frosting were luring me.



But I figured since I half-assed in spinning this morning, and since I can't really taste all that well, it wasn't worth the calories. And then the guy next to me got a piece of peach pie. I couldn't resist. Huge, juicy chunks of fresh peach piled on top of a flaky crust with a big glob of ice cream of top. Hey, fruit is healthy right?




No comments:

Post a Comment