Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Rest for the Weary

The great thing about summer is that there is always something fun going on. I have been taking full advantage and having a blast. Yesterday was another fun packed day. I started the day off with kickboxing (which didn't feel that hard at the time, but I am so sore today) and then ran home and quickly changed into my bathing suit. The boy (let's just call him R from now on) invited me out to his sister's lake house. Aside from the scariness of meeting his family for the first time, it was a blast. We ate some yummy BBQ and then spent a solid 2 hours floating in the lake. After swimming in the ocean so much lately, the lake felt so warm! By the time we got home, I had just enough time to change before heading to Freeport. It is LL Bean's 100th Anniversary and they were having a huge free outdoor concert and fireworks. The town was absolutely mobbed. We eventually found my mom and her friends and squeezed our way towards the stage. We grooved out to Chris Isaak and then watched the best fireworks I have ever seen. They went on forever and there were always like 5 different ones going off at once.  Seriously they were insane!


When my alarm went off this morning, I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. I started to drag myself out of bed and then started to reconsider. I've been so busy having fun that I have been neglecting some important things like sleep, eating real meals, stretching, and spending anytime in my own house. The entire week I felt like I was struggling through my workouts, they all felt like they took monumental effort. I am leaving super early tomorrow for an intense work trip to Texas. I needed a break or I was going to be in trouble.

So today, I didn't make plans with anyone. I went to yoga. I thought my poor tight hamstrings were going to rip in my first downdog. I took the time to make an omelet, toast, and fruit for lunch and then sit and eat it. I did an easy bike ride and an easy swim. I laid on the beach for a solid 2 hours and just read. For dinner I made some yummy grilled pizza from scratch and laid on the couch and watched TV while I ate it.


It is still a lovely evening out and my phone has been buzzing with invitations for tonight. But I am saying no. Sometimes you just need to chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment