Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Tri for a Cure Swim Clinic

I think this is probably the most I have ever prepared myself for an event. I mean, I do all my scheduled long runs before a marathon, but I don't pay a whole lot of attention to my pace, study the course, or go to any clinics. But, I know that won't fly with an ocean swim, so I am glad that the Tri for a Cure offered a whole bunch of clinics to get you race ready.

This morning, after a horrible, hot, humid run, where I wanted to die the entire time, I headed down to Spring Point Light beach. I knew I was in the right place because there were a 100 women wandering around in wetsuits!



This was the first time I'd seen the buoys put out to mark the swim course. Holy moly they looked so far away! Like, so far I couldn't get both of them in one picture. Why do I do these things to myself??? Oh right, all the fundraising goes to the Maine Cancer Foundation, and I am doing it in honor of my Dad who beat thyroid cancer this year.

see that little yellow speck way out by the lighthouse? Buoy 1. So. far. away.

and that other little spec way off on the right. Buoy 2. How is this only 1/3 of a mile??


We started sitting on the grass and the race director went over the logistics of the race, some helpful hints, and even shared some inspirational stories about cancer survivors and how the fundraising money is used. All too soon, it was time to get in the water.

It was freezing. Like made my feet ache immediately freezing. They gave us some last minute swim tips. One thing I learned is to spit in your goggles, swish it around, and then dunk them in the salt water before putting them on to keep them from fogging. Also, to do a last minute pre-swim dunk to get used to the water so the cold isn't as shocking when you start. Every ounce of me wanted to start at the back, but I made myself follow my coach's advice to start near the front. After a group cheer, we were off. The cold did take breath away at first, and I started to hyperventilate. I let myself swim a few strokes with my face out of the water to calm down, but then made myself put my face back in. With the cold water and choppy seas, I found it easier to breathe every 2 strokes instead of every 3 like I do in the pool.  Just getting my face out of the water more often made me feel calmer. I also felt so well supported. They had a bunch of kayaks and some advanced swim angels out there to help us if needed.


Swimming in a crowd wasn't as bad as I expected. I was able to get around people pretty easily. To my surprise I found myself near the front of the back. The swim felt long, but once I was in the groove I could handle it. I adjusted to the cold, was able to sight the buoys, and just kept chugging along. I was shocked to be the third woman out of the water in 13 minutes. I thought for sure, I'd be wayyyy back.

Based on my success today, I decided to take the plunge and switch from the novice category to the age group category for the swim. Bring it on!

Post swim elation (and complete numbness)


And it is not too late to donate! I have set a goal of $350, and I am so close. So please consider helping me out!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go on an awesome swim! How do you sight where you are going?

    It's awesome that you are doing this for your dad and that he beat cancer this year!

    ReplyDelete