Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Headstand Enlightenment

I was a gymnast from the time I was 3 until I was 18, and I have been doing yoga since college. You'd think I'd know how to do a headstand by now, right?

I realized last night that I only knew how to do what looked like a headstand. I knew how to throw my body upside down and balance, but it hurt my neck a lot. I was not doing it right.

Last night at yoga we did a headstand workshop. It was only by being forced to slow down and work on each step that I finally got it. I got my arms into the right position so that they totally supported my weight. My neck didn't feel it at all. I learned to lean slowly and use my abs to pull myself upright, instead of kicking and throwing myself. So much easier and it felt so right.


Pretty good metaphor for how I live my life. I'm always in such a hurry to get things done, to look like I can do anything. I rush through things which ultimately means that I don't enjoy them and they aren't done as well as they could be. Then I wonder what to do with the time "I saved."

Yet again yoga reminds me to slow down, to breathe, to focus on each and every movement and moment.

Have you had any handstand moments lately?

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful sentiment! I need a moment like that to reteach me that lesson. I am always in a hurry and feel like I cannot have anything "on my plate." I don't know how to not stress about things! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete