Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Sunday, December 2, 2012

The training gods hate me

Apparently I angered the training gods by daring to commit to a training plan. As soon as I did, my hip took a turn for the worse. Then this morning, when I was supposed to go do my first track session, I woke up to this.

 Normally I am a huge fan of snow. But this wasn't nice fluffy skiing snow, it was a slippery icy mix that totally coated the road. I had 2 friends that slid off the road last night.

I also had a cookie hangover. I had my mom and friends over yesterday for a massive cookie baking fest. We spent a solid hours baking hundreds on cookies. That added up to sampling a lot of dough, cookies, and hiding the mistakes in our bellies. Oooof. 

But I decided to head out anyway. I couldn't bring myself to bail on my first speed work session. The roads were pretty bad, I was sliding all over the place. Luckily the rubber sticky surface provided enough traction, even under the snow.

My training place said to "take half the time of your goal pace per mile and subtract 15 seconds," to determine my pace for the 800's. Since I am aiming for a 2 hour half, my pace needs to be around 9:10 min/mile, so my training 800's should be done in about 4:20.

I ran 3:55, 3:55, 3:55, and 3:51. Crushed it!!

 


1 comment:

  1. Nive job on the workout despite the scary slippery roads. I love running in the snow, but NOT on the ice! :( I hope your friends are ok!

    ReplyDelete