Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

It's never as bad as you think it will be

I swore that after my triathlons last summer that I would keep swimming in order to get faster. Oops. I can count on 2 fingers the number of times I have been in the pool for a workout since August.

The whole open water ocean swimming thing was terrifying.

I just keep talking myself out of it. Somehow it seemed too daunting to get myself to the Y with all my swim stuff and get in the pool. I always had an excuse. I didn't have time. I had a cold. My arms were tired from lifting. They were all bull.

This morning I finally did it. I got in the pool and swam almost a mile. And you know what?? I ENJOYED IT. I felt light and effortless and nothing hurt, very unlike my running lately. I felt like I could feel everything in my body releasing. The time flew by.

This is not the pool I swam in. I wish. This is a much nicer pool.

Once again I realized that it is never as bad as you think it will be. I waste way too much time and energy psyching myself out.

Is there something that you have trouble making yourself do?



1 comment:

  1. Aww, so happy you got out there! I am this way (psyching myself out) about seeing certain people. Isn't that terrible? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete