Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Friday, December 21, 2012

Light Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream

I love Bailey's. When I came across a recipe for a homemade version, I knew I had to try it. It was delicious, but when I saw how much cream and sugar it contained I was horrified. I knew I could easily lighten it up. Over the next few years I kept tweaking my recipe until I finally ended up with what I have now. My friends and family start asking in about September when I am going to make the first batch.



Homemade Light Bailey’s Irish Cream
  • 1 cup fat free half and half
  • 14 oz fat free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 2/3 C Irish whiskey (I used Jameson's)
  • 1 tsp instant coffee
  • 2 tablespoons powdered cocoa
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsps Tirani sugar free hazelnut syrup 
 
Combine all ingredients in a blender and set on high speed for 30 seconds. Bottle in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate. Shake before using. Will keep for up to 2 months.

I have also tried making a vegan version, using a mix of Silk hazelnut creamer and almond milk instead of the half and half and omitting the sweetened condensed milk. It tasted really good, but lacked a little of the thick creaminess that the sweetened condensed milk provides.






No comments:

Post a Comment