Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cross Fit

I have been hearing a lot about Cross Fit, but never got around to giving it a try. Mostly because I have my AWESOME boot camp class at the Y at home. However, after about 2 months in Anaheim, I simply can't stand another workout in the hotel gym or the gross Bally's next door, so I started looking for other options. There is a cross fit place about a mile away, so I figured I'd give it a go. After sitting in my car in the dark waiting for about 20 minutes because, as usual, I was so early the class leader showed up and opened the gym. It wasn't the prettiest place I've ever been, it was just an old warehouse, but it was stuffed with all kinds of cool equipment. More importantly, everyone was SO nice. They were super welcoming and made me feel right at ease. We started out on foam rollers to loosen everything up, then went for a quick run, followed by dynamic stretching. Then came the hardest part of the workout, shoulder press jerks. I couldn't get the movement right! You have to squat, lift the bar half-way, and then squat again quickly as you press the bar up to lock out your arms, and then stand. It really shouldn't have been that hard, but I had a mental block. There is a movie of them here Then came the fun part. 300 jumps with a jump rope, a 400 meter run, 10 burpees, 10 pull-ups, and then 10 knees to elbows. We were supposed to do 4 sets, but I only got through 3.5 in the 20 minutes. I was dripping sweat! I left in a fantastic mood and can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment