Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fitness on the Road: Gyms

This morning's workout was a spinning class at the Bally's next to my hotel. I like to check out local gyms when I'm traveling because it gives me a chance to try new equipment and classes. I've gotten to try some really cool classes like Kangoo where we bounced around on these sweet bouncy shoes, and pitch dark yoga which really challenged my balance and helped me completely let loose because no one could see me. I have also definitely been to some pretty terrible classes, like a body toning class where all the equipment was broken the instructor rushed us through with terrible form. But you win some, you lose some. It helps to do some research before you go, checking out reviews of the local gyms. And you can also check out the class schedules in advance so you know what you want to try and when! Using a gym away from home can be pretty cheap, and often free! I don't mind paying a day pass fee once in awhile, but when you are on the road as much as I am, it could add up quickly. Here are my strategies for getting in free:
1) Check with your hotel. Many hotels have an agreement with a fitness facility that allows guests to use the facility free of charge. When I was working in Santa Rosa for months, I picked up hotel mostly because it allowed me to use a state of the art fitness facility for free.
2) See if your home gym allows you to use other gyms in the network for free. At home I am a member of the YMCA, so I can use most Y's around the country for free. Most chains like Bally's or Gold's let you do this too.
3) Check out the gym's website. Many of them have free day or week passes you can print and use.
4) Ask and flatter. I find I am pretty successful if I just chat up the front desk person and explain that I'm traveling for work, and I heard this was a great gym and I'd like to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment