Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Sunday, November 13, 2011

I get by with a little help from my friends

I have a tendency to be a control freak, to be solitary, and to be creature of habit. For the most part this is good, because I get things done quickly and efficiently. But sometimes I get stuck. And when that happens I am left floundering. I dig myself in deeper and deeper because I don't ask for help. This was one of those weeks where I fell down into a pit and was stuck sitting down there. Then Saturday morning I made the decision to go to yopa. I love, love, love the yoga studio in Boothbay by my Mom's house. But I hardly ever go because the class is at 8:30 am and I have this compulsive need to do an hour of cardio first thing in the morning. But this week I just wasn't feeling great, and I really wanted to do something with my mom, so I skipped the run and went. During the class, the instructor Romee comes along and helps you into the poses. I was doing a half hearted bow pose when she came and sat on my feet and helped lift my shoulders. At first I tensed, and I then I let her help me, rising high into the pose. With her help I was better and it was easier. And the light bulb went off. If I let people help me, I can get so much further. So I finally called my friend and invited her to coffee and just unloaded everything that has been bothering me. And just having someone listen made me feel a million pounds lighter. And now my flight is being called, off I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment