Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

An Engagement Story

Work continues to be crazy busy and running continues to be difficult because it is constantly freezing/snowing/sleeting. So, I have nothing positive or interesting to say about either. I feel like on a Tuesday of a cold, cold, week we could all use a little positivism, so how about an engagement story?



First of all, I was never that girl that couldn't wait to get married. I didn't start planning my wedding a little girl. Honestly until recently, I didn't care if I ever got married. Then, I met the right guy. Suddenly, I was one of those sappy, wedding crazy people that I used to hate. I was putting pressure on the BF to propose pretty heavy all fall.

About a week before Christmas I was in the midst of some job drama and having a pretty terrible week. He made it even worse when he sat me down and said "I know you are hoping for a ring for Christmas, but I am just not ready. I don't want you to get your hopes up and then be disappointed." Well I was and I couldn't hide it. But, I also understood and told him I would wait as long as he needed.

Christmas Eve morning, the dog woke us up early. R got up to let her out and then came back to bed. We lazed around in bed, giving Dixie a long tummy rub session and chatting. Since we usually have opposite schedules, getting to wake up together and spend some time relaxing is a rare luxury.


After a few minutes R said that he had left his sock downstairs when he let Dixie out. I mentioned something about him having an entire basket of socks upstairs, but he got up and went downstairs. When he came back he kneeled by the side of the bed and put a little hand-carved wooden box in my hand. He said "I was going to wait and do this tomorrow, but I can't wait."

My heart lept, but then I thought about our conversation the week before, and told myself not to get excited. It could just be a necklace or something. I had some trouble opening the box, but when I finally got it open, there was a ring inside. I don't remember the exact details of the next few minutes, but it included me saying yes, calling him an asshole for faking me out, me starting to cry, putting on the ring, and giving him a huge hug. 

I couldn't stop smiling all day and I still smile when I look down at my hand. 

His proposal was perfect because it really reflects his personality and our relationship. We didn't need anything flashy or elaborate. We love each other, making a home together, and our little furry doggie. 

What was your proposal like? Or what is your dream proposal?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! An elaborate proposal is not as important as falling in love and choosing to love your life with someone who really cares about you.

    My husband threw my ring at me in one of those .50 cent eggs from the machines in grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete