Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Friday, January 24, 2014

Sicky sicky

So that cold I though I somehow outran on my long run two weeks ago? It came back a week later and it's a sneaky little devil. Just when I think I've beat it, it comes roaring back.

Last Saturday I woke up with a scratchy throat. I went to my favorite Saturday boot camp and then did a treadmill run, but I was just not myself. I had NO energy. So I spent the rest of the day on the couch, drinking tea, and taking my zinc every 4 hours.

Sunday and Monday we had planned to go skiing and I didn't want to ruin those plans. I actually felt quite a bit better both days. My sore throat was getting better and my energy levels were higher.

So Tuesday, I figured I was okay to go for a run outside, even though it was only 4 degrees. I really wanted to try out my new hat and gloves. I felt okay during the run but during the day I felt progressively worse. It didn't help that we were getting the front door replaced, so it was frigid! Tuesday afternoon I started coughing a little. By Tuesday night I was coughing a lot.

And it is that darn cough that is doing me in. It's been a long time since I've had a bad cough and I forgot how terrible it is. It is making my throat raw and mostly I just can't sleep. I cough myself awake all night, even when I take cough medicine. Last night I finally gave up and retreated to the couch in the middle of the night.

I wanted to prop myself up and see if that helped, plus all my hacking was waking up R and the dog as well. I spent the night on my little loveseat, squished, coughing, and shivering. 

I am so ready for this to be over. I've been doing moderate exercise every day because it makes me feel better. I've been drinking veggie/fruit juice and about 15 cups of tea a day. I've been trying to sleep a lot. Sunday starts my last 2 weeks of marathon training and I need to be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment