Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Friday, February 18, 2011

Packing

This mess haunted me all night (the few hours of it, I got to sleep that is.)
Thanks to a combination of torrential downpours, strong winds, and a visit from President Obama, my flight home Thursday left almost four hours late. So, I didn't get home until about 2 am. I can't go to bed without unpacking my suitcase (probably a good thing since my running clothes from the week have been festering in there for too long already). So as I unpacked I threw the things I'll need for Antarctica on the bag I had started packing last weekend.


When I got this bag 3 weeks ago, I thought it was un-necessarily large. But it was the most durable option, so I got it anyway. Now, it isn't seeming so large. In fact, it's pretty much stuffed. I am normally a pretty good packer (I certainly get enough practice, since I do it every week), but this trip is a challenge. I'm packing for 3 distinct climates, more than 2 weeks, need all my marathon gear plus heavy-duty warm clothing, and we won't have a chance to do laundry!! I keep trying to think of the things I can take out of the bag, but I'm not having any luck. I just keep thinking of other things I should add.

The biggest limitation is that we are limited to 1 bag of 30lbs on the flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia because the planes are so small. We've already been warned that the over-weight fees are very high (they like to take advantage of Americans, who like most things, travel heavy). At this point, I'm thinking I have to pull a Joey and wear 10 layers on that flight to make my bag lighter.

One that will not be taken out is this cute little iceberg that Kristen knit me for good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment