Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ready to go??

I am all packed, but I'm afraid my bag is too heavy. It's hard to get an exact weight because it won't stand on the scale. I've been through everything I have packed again and again, and I just can't think of anything else I can possibly take out! So, I decided to take break and make some healthy snacks for the trip.

First though, I needed some lunch. I was starving from a morning at the gym and packing. I decided to challenge myself to use up the few things I had in the fridge, thus was born "Kier's clean-out your fridge frittata."
 Ingredients:
-Eggs (however many ya got)
-Milk (or almond milk in my case)
-Cheese, shredded (again whatever you have, I had cheddar and parmesan)
-Veggies, chopped into bite-sized pieces (I used spinach, kale, onion, and tomatoes)

  1. Preheat the oven to 400. 
  2. In an oven-safe skillet, cook your veggies in a small amount of olive oil until they are soft. I did my onions first, then added the kale, then the spinach and tomatoes at the very end. 
  3. In a bowl wisk together eggs, milk, and cheese
  4. Spread veggie mixture evenly on bottom of skillet. Pour egg mixture over spinach mixture. Use a spatula to lift up the spinach mixture along the sides of the pan to let egg mixture flow underneath.
  5. When the mixture is about half set, put the whole pan in the oven. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until frittata is puffy and golden.

Hunger satisified, I moved on the snacks. I have a feeling fruit may be scarce down at the bottom of the world, and I had a bunch of apples so I decided to make apple chips.
-Apples
-Cinnamon
-Sugar

  1. Turn the oven to its lowest setting
  2. Slice the apples into very thin slices (I used the food processor)
  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the apple slices on the sheet.
  4. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
  5. Push it into the oven for 1.5-2 hours, until the apple slices are crisp 
And finally, I decided to make a batch of granola, because it's another great way to use up odds and ends.
- 2 cups Oats
-Wheat germ or oat bran (if you have them) -1/4 cup Molasses
-1/4 cup Honey
-1/4 cup Maple Syrup
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp vanilla

Optional Add-ins
-Nuts (I used pecans and almonds)
-Dried fruit (I used craisins)

  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheets with parchment or aluminum foil.
  2. Combine the oats, wheat germ, oat bran, and nuts. Stir together the brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then pour over the dry ingredients, and stir to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly on the baking sheets.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until crispy and toasted, about 20 minutes. Stir once halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment