Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Up and over

I was considering getting up super early to do my 13 miler that I have planned for this weekend today while I'm still in California. It would be nice to do it on clear roads and not contend with traffic. BUT I just couldn't drag myself out of bed at 4am. I'm also starting to get a little nervous about the timing of my long runs. Is doing my last long run a month before the race too early? Not to question the great Jeff Galloway, but......... So I decided it would be better to hold off and do the run over the weekend, so it is exactly 2 weeks before the race.

I decided to do a hill workout instead. There is a mini mountain behind my hotel. I thought I had been running all the way up it, until I went for a walk one afternoon and found that actually I was only going 3/4 of the way up. Amazing how much more you can see when the sun is out. So today I went all the way up, which about 20 minutes of climbing, some parts pretty steep and others pretty gradual. I came back down in half the time, and then spent the next 30 minutes doing loops of shorter rolling hills. I was feeling pretty good about myself until I looked at my garmin and realized how slow I was going. A 10 minute mile pace felt like a sprint by the end of the run. The more marathons I do, the slower I get!

No comments:

Post a Comment