Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Friday, December 2, 2011

Healthy Cold Weather Dinners

It's getting cold here in Maine, so I am craving comfort food. Luckily, I'm working at home this week, so I've been able to whip up lots of healthy meals that also satisfy. Tuesday morning I woke up early and set up my bread machine. While I ran, the bread machine whipped up this awesome Honey Whole Wheat Bread. 1 1/8 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) 3 tablespoons honey 1/3 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cups bread flour 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast Add ingredients according to the manufacturer's directions to your bread machine. Use the wheat bread cycle and light color setting.

I'll admit, I ate half the loaf on Tuesday!
Scallops and Squash Wednesday I went grocery shopping and scallops were on sale. I also had some lovely butternut squash my Mom gave me from her garden. I peeled the squash, cubed it (microwave it for a few minutes and it's WAY easier to cut), and then roasted it at 350. While the squash was roasting, I sauteed onion and garlic in olive oil until they were soft. I then added white wine, a little butter, and the scallops. When the squash was done, I tossed it with the scallops. Easy and SOOOO good. No pictures because I ate it too fast!
Pasta, Bacon, and Arugula. Thursday I was watching the Chew, and they made a pasta bacon and cabbage dish that left me craving both pasta and bacon. When I was at the store getting the bacon, I saw organic arugula on clearance, so I grabbed that as well. In a skillet I cooked the bacon, while I boiled water for the pasta. When the bacon was done, I drained most of the grease (saving just a little for flavor). I then browned some garlic in the bacon grease. When the pasta was done, I added it to the skillet with the garlic, tossed in the arugula, crumbled the bacon on top, and mixed.


Coach Jenny's Holiday Challenge
To keep myself motivated during the Holiday's I'm participating in Coach Jenny's Holiday Challenge. All you have to do is post your weekly goal and mileage workouts and you can win great prizes!
This week's prize is Agloves. Boy do I need these!! I start my run on a moderately busy road, go to a very busy road, then go onto a bike path. All this means that I have to constantly adjust the volume on i-pod. Not soo easy in the winter when I'm wearing gloves. I would totally love to be able to change the volume without having to take off my gloves and freeze my hands!K

1 comment:

  1. Great post and site! Thanks for spreading the Holiday Challenge love!

    ReplyDelete