Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I've got you, but you've got yourself

I'm I admit the truth to myself I have to concede that running marathons is not good for my body. I was not built to run long distances. I am short and muscular, perfect for a gymnast, but not so much for the marathon. But, I have the mind of a distance runner, I am stubborn and determined.

I've realized that if I'm going to complete my 7 continent goal I have to take care of body, so I'm trying to fit lots of yoga and stretching into my schedule. Getting myself to yoga is such a struggle, but it's always so worth it. Being in the studio with an instructor forces me to forget about everything else, and it seems like I always leave with a new pearl of wisdom.

Yesterday the instructor was assisting me in a pose, helping me to go deeper. As she pushed my body a littler further she said "I've got you, but you've also got yourself." I repeated the phrase to myself the rest of class.




I like to polarize things, so I tend to think that I either need to be totally independent or I need to relent and let people do things for me. But it doesn't have to be an either or. I can maintain my sense of self that I value so much while also letting other people in.



No comments:

Post a Comment