Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Friday, February 10, 2012

Down South

I am in Florida for the weekend, visiting family and running the 26.2 with Donna. I am staying with family in Palatka, and was anxious to go for a run this morning after a long day of flying yesterday. Even though, I travel to California frequently for work, there is just something so wonderful about heading out on a run wearing shorts and tank-top in February. A far cry from my runs at home. I had planned to run in Ravine Gardens, a state park, but when I got there I found there is now a $2 admission, and I had no money on me. So, I headed down by the river instead, which was equally nice. There was a nice boardwalk that ran along the waterfront for quite awhile. I alternated looking at the water and at the cool old river houses across the street. It amazes me how fresh water just has such a different personality than the ocean.
 When I got back I was determined to go swimming. That enthusiasm quickly faded. Even for a Maine girl, that water was COLD. So I made it up to my waist and then walked around for awhile to cool down my legs. I was so excited to pick a fresh grapefruit off the tree for breakfast. But when I went to do it, I realized I had no idea how to tell if they were ripe! Were they yellow grapefruit that were ripe, or pink ones that weren't ripe? The one I got was pretty good, but a little on the tart side. Then I put on my bathing suit and drank my coffee by the pool while I read a book. It was not very warm at all, and the Floridians thought I was crazy. But it's Florida darn it, I am going to get a little sun and sit by the pool!

This afternoon we went out to a great little seafood place on the water Corky Bell's. It was so cheesy it was fantastic. We sat out on the patio, over-looking the river.


When I looked at the menu, I got so excited. We used to come down South at least a few times a year to see my step-grandparents, and so I harbor a secret love for Southern Food. Hushpuppies most of all. 

I mean it's like a donut, that you get to eat for lunch a dinner! So I indulged my desire for a few hushpuppies, but also was mindful of the fact that I have to run a race this weekend and don't want to be weighed down with tons of fried food, so I balanced them out with some boiled shrimp. My attempt to go healthy with a side of broccoli was a fair, the dish had more cheese and cream sauce than broccoli!

Despite the awesome lunch, I'm already looking forward to some BBQ for dinner!




No comments:

Post a Comment