Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Monday, April 16, 2012

Boston Marathon Madness

I had a wonderful day and half in Boston and am reminded why I absolutely love the Boston Marathon even though I will probably never be fast enough to run it. There is just this wonderful spirit that takes over the whole city.

This was my first trip back to Boston since I moved last October. It was strange being back- like I'd never left and like I'd been gone forever at the same time. But as soon as I met up with my former roomie, Kristen, I felt like we'd never been apart. She even wore her Christmas present that I finally gave her, even though they were earmuffs and it was 85.  That is why I love her.

The expo was huge and wonderful and overwhelming. I was running around like a kid in a candy store (sorry Kristen who was trying to stay with me). I saw 2 of my Reach the Beach teammates, ate 20 million samples of different types of bars and gels and gummies, and drooled over a lot of expensive running clothes. I got to see Dean Karnazes who is like Mr. Muscle. When he shook my hand I saw a million muscles in his forearm that I have never seen on anyone else. The man is jacked, but surprisingly tiny. Speaking of tiny, I also hear Desiree Davila speak about fueling and hydration. She is so little! But the highlight of the expo was definitely getting getting to meet Katherine Switzer. I couldn't believe the time she spent with each person who came up to her. She was warm, inspiring, and simply lovely.

Yep that's me and Jen and KV Switzer!





It astounds me that just a generation ago women weren't able to enjoy the thing that I love so much. I don't know if I would ever have the courage to break down such entrenched barriers, so I am truly in awe, and eternally grateful, to those who did. Rock on Ladies.

Monday morning I was up almost as early as if I was running. I wanted to get my workout in before I went to spectated. I did one of my favorite 6.5 mile loops by my old house, and all I could think was how glad I was that I wasn't running the race. Even at 7:30 it was HOT. I swung by the Y for a quick strength workout and shower and then headed into Natick. I settled on the curb with my coffee and bagel thin, ready to cheer my brains out. And I did.

There is so just something about this race. I was almost crying at several points because of the love and energy being directed at the runners. As the wheelchairs and disabled athletes went by first I was reminded again of how lucky I am to be healthy. I may not be fast, but I have 2 functional legs.


Elite Women. That is some serious power.

Elite Men.



I stayed long enough to see Jen go by. She looked sweaty but strong. Go Jen! And now I am home sunburned and inspired.


No comments:

Post a Comment