Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Thursday, June 21, 2012

I heart Summer

Summer came in with a bang here in Maine. It went from 65 to 95 overnight. Usually, I am not a fan of the heat, but I'm kinda digging it this week.

I celebrated the summer solstice with an outdoor yoga class at Fort Williams last night. I was worried it would be too hot, but it was delightful. We were in the shade and there was a nice sea breeze. This was the first time I'd ever done an outdoor class and I loved it. I loved feeling the air on my skin, hearing the cry of the gulls and the slap of the water on the shore, and looking out at the deep blue sea with sailboats dancing in the wind. My intention for the class was gratitude and I really felt it. I felt so lucky to have a strong body, a good friend beside me, and to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

After yoga, Breezy and I headed to my house to make some grilled pizza. It's a great meal for a hot night because you can cook and assemble the whole thing outside. We made one pizza with red sauce topped with kale and caramelized onions, and a second white pizza with sage pesto and mushrooms. And then, naturally, we went to Red's for ice cream. That does make the third night in a row for me, but I have been getting fat free lo-cal yogurt, so it's all good right??

This morning it was already 80 at 6am and I knew I'd be miserable running. So I hopped on my bike instead. I wanted to try something new because I'm getting tired of my lighthouse loop. I decided to check out the section of the Eastern Trail between Scarborough and Old Orchard. Except when I got there, I found out it wasn't paved. Ooops. I decided to go for it anyway and bounced along on  for 5 miles. When I intersected with Pine Point road though, I decided to ride out to the beach instead of continuing on the trail. My road bike was not made for off-roading! Still it was a good experiment- I think it would be a great path for running.

Now, I'm inside with the fans on and an icy bottle of seltzer to work for the day. I am planning to take advantage of the heat to motivate me to do some open water swimming this afternoon.

Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment