Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Message to my Younger Self

I love go-LIVES at work when I get to be out on the floors working directly with the doctors and nurses. The past 2 weeks I have gotten to be in the OR and PACU quite a bit, and I've gotten to see some cool medical stuff.

I have always been fascinated by the body. It really is a miracle how we are put together and function. As I was pounding out intervals on the treadmill at 4 am this morning in the hotel gym, I watched myself in the mirror and thought about all the things that were happening in my body to let me run. Respiration, circulation, the interplay of muscle, bone, and tendon.



When I was younger I always thought I'd become a doctor. And then I got ready to go to college and I got scared. I didn't have the confidence in myself. I listed to my friends who told me not to take a lot of science classes because I'd be stuck in labs all the time. I didn't want to ruin my GPA by taking the hardest classes. After I finished undergrad, I once again thought about med school. And again I got scared. So I got my master's in public health.  When I went to Ghana for my practicum my favorite experiences were when I was working with the PA students and seeing patients. I love the clinical side of medicine.

Now I wish I could go back and tell my 18 year old self not to be afraid. To do what I really want to do even if it will be hard.

What would you do differently if you could go back?


No comments:

Post a Comment