Mainely Running
Join me as I train in Maine and race all over the world in pursuit of my goal to run a marathon on all 7 continents

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sacrifice

The other consultants and the CIS staff at the hospital I am at this week are a lot of fun. On the one hand this is great. Nothing diffuses the stress of a long day at work like a fun dinner and drinks out with friends. Sometimes when I travel I end up eating all my meals alone in my hotel room, so it feels like all I do is sleep, work-out, and work. So fun is good.
 
On the other hand, it is a real challenge to my ongoing attempt to live a healthy life style. When we go out to eat, I always end up eating more. Even if I order something healthy, someone always orders some appetizers for the table or offers up some of their french fries. And then there are the drinks. Having just one drink every day is an extra 700-1000 calories in a week. And there is always the pressure to have more than one.
 
It all kind of snowballs. More drinks means poor food choices and staying up late, which means I don't want to drag myself out of the bed the next morning to workout.
 
But this week, trying to be healthy has left me feeling like a loser. I only went out one night. I only had one drink at dinner, instead of the 3 or 4 every one else had. When we got back to the hotel I went to bed instead of staying up and having more drinks in the hotel bar.
 
Where is that line between being the uber healthy but boring person missing out on all the fun all the time and being the party animal who just doesn't care?

No comments:

Post a Comment